Long distance open water swimming isn't just about swimming around buoys in a loop - it's about the journey. Travelling the length of a lake from one end to the other, swimming across a channel, or completing a swim from one set point to another gives the swim meaning.
You haven't swum a lake until you have completed the full length of it.
Chillswim specialises in open water swimming and is passionate about creating the world's best events.
Chillswim Windermere is a mass participation, fully supported swim of the full 11 miles length of Windermere, in the English Lake District and the longest lake in England.
Entry Fee and what's included:
Standard entry fee is £195 per person, which includes:
• Transport from the Event Car Park to the Start in the South at the National Trust's Fell Foot Park
• Transport from the Finish in the North at Waterhead back to the Event Car Park in Ambleside
• Professional Water Safety team provided by the UK's leading Water Safety Specialists (Swim Safety) supporting you throughout the 11 Mile End to End swim
• Feed stations at 1 mile intervals along the route providing water, energy drinks & jelly babies!
• Chillswim Windermere high quality silicone Event Swim Cap
• Chillswim Windermere Event Medal for each participant
• Chillswim Windermere Event Hoody for each participant
• Age Group Prizes for Wetsuit & non-wetsuit categories
• Free Parking on race day for all participants
The route starts at Fell Foot Park at the Southern end of the Lake and after 11 miles finishes at Waterhead at the Northern end.
After the start from Fell Foot swimmers will then follow relatively close to the Eastern shore for the first 2 miles before being guided across towards the Western shore and then continue to swim relatively close to the Western Shore, passed the Ferry Crossing and to the west of the islands around Bowness including the largest island Belle Isle and continue North until crossing back over to the complete the swim at the traditional Windermere End to End Finish at Waterhead.
Swimmers will keep within approximately 50 metres of the shore for the vast majority of the route guided by the Numbered Event Mile Marker Buoys, the Feed Station Boats at the half way point between the Mile Markers and of course by the Support Paddlers and Watercraft provided by our professional Swim Safety Team who will be directing swimmers throughout.
Mandatory swim-float Use:
You must wear a swim tow-float/dry bag for this event. Please note that the entry fee does not include a tow-float, you can purchase one at point of entry or if you require one after entering please CLICK HERE
There will be boat-based feed stations along the route near to the shore approximately halfway between every mile marker of the swim with water, energy drink and jelly babies.
How does the event work?
Here are a few tips on how the event flows and what to expect:
- Arrive at Event Registration either the evening before or the morning of the swim and we'll give you your race pack with swim hat, timing chip, tow float sticker and wrist band for your allocated start time.
- Wetsuit swimmers can get changed at Event HQ with baggage storage available.
- Non wetsuit swimmers take their bag with them to the start, with baggage transport to the finish.
- You board the bus according to your event start time (based on your predicted mile pace).
- We have a large marquee at the start for shade (!) or rain and a relaxed atmosphere to prepare you for your full length of England's longest lake 11 mile swim. A full event briefing is given to you at the start of the swim.
- As you set off, water safety kayakers and support boats are there to look out for, and support, you.
- Mile markers are positioned to help guide you down the lake with feed stations starting at mile 1.5
- You can stop for a drink at the feed stations or swim past and continue on your swim for the 11 miles.
- At the finish, your medal is placed around your neck, a warm drink awaits and buses are on hand to shuttle you back to the Event Car Park.
- Non wetsuit swimmers can change at the Finish Area and wetsuit swimmers can use the changing shelters at the Finish Area.
- Although this really event is about taking part and completing the journey, we do have prizes for the fastest in each age group for both wetsuit and non-wetsuit swimmers.
What pace should I put down when I enter?
The entry system asks for your mile pace, if you don't know, then go to the swimming pool and time yourself swimming hard for 1 mile. Many people tend to underestimate their mile swim time or add a slower mile time to 'play it safe'. This creates problems as you will be swimming with a group and the water safety team cannot separate for individual swimmers. In simple terms, if you add a time which is too slow for your ability, you will be asked by the water safety team to slow down on the day and your finish time will be affected.
If you need to change your mile time before the event then simply log back into the entry system at https://www.resultsbase.net and you can change your pace up to one month before the event. On the day the more relaxed pace swimmers (max 52 min/mile pace) start first and approximately every 30-45 mins a slightly faster paced group will enter the water. You'll have a much better experience during the swim if you put down an accurate swim time and you are grouped correctly.
What time does the event finish?
Swimmers will arrive at the finish between approximately 1pm and 4pm and prize giving will be held as soon as possible after the last swimmer is out of the water, back at the Event HQ
Is there an age limit?
Competitors must be a minimum of 17 years old on the day of the event. There is no upper age limit.
Is there a cut off time?
We have a maximum estimated swim pace of 52 minutes per mile for all entrants, bearing this in mind and for the safety of the swimmers and the water safety team there will be a cut off at the halfway point and also at 7.5miles where swimmers that have drifted significantly behind the max swim pace will be transported by to the finish by the safety team. With the staggered swim starts we expect the last swimmer will be out of the water by approximately 4pm with the cut offs and the sweep boat ensuring that no-one is left behind in the water after this time!
|Starts at 08:00|
Chillswim Wetsuit Swimmers: Price per participant
|Price||£189.32 + fee|
|Price||£0.00 + fee|
Chillswim Skin Swimmers: Price per participant
|Price||£189.32 + fee|
|Price||£0.00 + fee|
|Starts at 06:00|